This notice is provided for your safety and in compliance with the timely warning notice provisions of the Clery Act.
The Conway Police Department is investigating a report of an attempted robbery and shooting that was alleged to have occurred off campus along Donaghey Avenue near Fox Run Apartments. The victim alleged that sometime between 9:30 AM and 10:30 AM on Thursday, May 14th, he was shot in the back of his leg after he refused to hand over his phone to a suspect who the victim stated was attempting to rob him.
The suspect was described as a black male with dreadlocks, eye glasses, and a small star tattoo on his face. The victim reported that the suspect fled the scene on foot, running east on Erbach Street from Donaghey Ave.
In response to this incident, the UCA Police Department is providing the following safety tips:
- Always trust your instincts. If you feel uneasy or sense something is wrong, do what you can to get out of that situation.
- Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.
- Walk with friends or coworkers when possible.
- Don’t listen to loud music with headphones. Excessive volume can distract you from potential safety hazards.
- If you sense trouble, move away from the potential threat if possible; cross the street and increase your pace or join a group of people nearby.
- If a threatening situation is imminent, yell, scream, or do whatever you can to get the attention of others who may be close by.
- If you are facing an armed criminal, you may minimize the risk of injury to yourself if you comply with the criminal’s demands. However, if your life is in immediate danger, use any defense you can to get away.
- Dial 911 immediately and give a description of the suspect.
- Stay alert. Trust your instincts.
- Report suspicious persons or activity to UCA Police immediately. Call 911 or (501) 450-3111.
Always use your best judgement and avoid situations or circumstances that may increase any risk to your personal safety.