On Tuesday, July 12th, the National Safety Council (NSC) released a statement on safety concerns regarding Pokémon Go. NSC is urging pedestrians to use caution when playing the game and asking drivers to “refrain from playing the game behind the wheel.” Reports of pedestrian-auto accidents, robberies, and minor crimes and incidents are coming in as use of the game spreads.
Here are a few safety tips to follow:
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and look up from your phone frequently;
- Do not play the game at night and stay out of poorly lit areas;
- Try to stay in public areas where other people are around;
- Stay clear of alleyways, tunnels and other secluded areas; and
- Make sure that someone else knows that you are playing, and what area you will be playing in.
For now, play safe, think safe, and catch those Pokémon!