CROSSWALK SAFETY TIPS
- Do not assume drivers can stop.
- Look across all lanes you must cross.
- Even though one vehicle has stopped, another may pass in another lane.
- Be attentive when entering a crosswalk area.
- Drive slowly. Be prepared to stop.
- Do not overtake and pass other vehicles stopped for pedestrians on your side of the roadway.
- Establish eye contact with drivers before crossing.
- Do not enter the crosswalk suddenly.
- Wave or thank drivers who yield.
- Establish eye contact with pedestrians.
- Be patient.
- Cross the street between the lines within the crosswalk. If you cross the street at a place other than a designated crosswalk or intersection, remember the vehicle has the right-of-way.
- Make it easy for drivers to see you. Dress in light colors and wear reflective materials.
- Yield to pedestrians crossing in marked crosswalks or at intersections. Failure to yield to a pedestrian in a marked crosswalk is a violation of Arkansas law.
- Do not text or talk on your cell phone while driving.